At M&I Materials we refer to train mounted transformers as ‘traction transformers'. In contrast, the term ‘trackside' is used with reference to the transformers supplying overhead lines, ancillary equipment and third rail systems.
Trackside transformers tend to be located close to the railway line and occasionally in densely populated or environmentally sensitive areas. In these situations it is sensible to choose a greater level of protection against environmental contamination and fire hazard than can be provided by using mineral oil.
Unlike mineral oil, MIDEL 7131 and MIDEL eN have high fire points and have been approved for use in high risk areas such as tunnels and buildings. Both Midel esters have 100% fire safety records demonstrating that they are fluids you can trust.
Midel esters are also readily biodegradable and non-water hazardous which stands them apart from less environmentally friendly options such as mineral oil. If there was a spillage from a Midel-filled transformer the risk of contamination would be greatly reduced in comparison to the threat from other fluids.
Benefits of Midel Ester based fluids in Trackside Transformers
- K-class high fire point (>300°C) to IEC 61039
- 100% fire safety record
- FM Global® and UL® listed transformer fluid
- Greater moisture tolerance than mineral oil
- Robust and stable, conducive to lower levels of maintenance
- Readily biodegradable according to OECD 301 and fully biodegradable according to IEC 61039
- Non-toxic and non-water hazardous
- MIDEL eN is a natural ester from a renewable vegetable oil
- Multilingual commercial team
- First-rate customer care
- Continued technical support from the transformer fluid experts
Additional Benefits of MIDEL 7131
- High temperature performance allowing for compact transformer designs
- Proven in demanding conditions throughout the world
- Greater moisture tolerance than MIDEL eN
- Reputation as the ‘fill and forget fluid'
- Flexible, suitable for breathing and sealed transformers
- Popular choice for retrofilling breathing transformers